Colposcopy in Chula Vista
The purpose of a Colposcopy is to examine the cervix for indications of cervical cancer. In most cases, this procedure is performed on women whose pap test has returned abnormal results. As a board-certified OBGYN, Dr. Kamali can perform colposcopy and discuss treatment options. Call (619) 271-2700 to schedule an appointment in Chula Vista, CA today!
What Does a Colposcopy Detect?
Dr. Kamali will use an imaging device, called a colposcope, to look for irregular cervical tissue. A cervix with potentially cancerous tissue may have white patches, warts, polyps or swelling. In these instances, a sample will be taken and tested.
A healthy cervix will appear pink and smooth. If everything looks normal, additional tests may be needed to determine the cause of the irregular pap results.
How Can You Prepare For a Colposcopy?
There is little preparation needed for a Colposcopy. However, before having this test performed, it is highly recommended that you:
- Abstain from sex 24 to 48 hours before the procedure.
- Do not insert any products, such as tampons, into your vagina.
- Ensure the procedure date does not fall during your period.
Is a Colposcopy Painful?
Some discomfort may be felt when a mild solution is used to clean and dry the cervix, but the Colposcopy should not hurt since the colposcope does not touch you. If a sample is needed, you may feel a slight pinching feeling as tissue is collected.
What to Expect After a Colposcopy
For those who did not have a sample taken:
- No restrictions will be placed on your activity.
- Light bleeding or spotting may occur for a day or two.
For those who did have a sample taken:
- Avoid intercourse or using tampons for at least a week.
- Vaginal pain or discomfort may last a few days.
- Light bleeding may be present for a few days.
- You may notice dark vaginal discharge immediately following the Colposcopy.
Schedule a Colposcopy for Abnormal Pap Smear Results in Chula Vista
If your pap smear returned an abnormal result, your OBGYN may suggest a colposcopy for cervical cancer screening. To learn more about the results of your pap smear and detection with the colposcopy procedure, please call (619) 271-2700 to schedule an appointment at our OBGYN office in Chula Vista, CA