High Risk Pregnancy in Chula Vista, CA
Specialized Care for Women With Preeclampsia & Other Pregnancy Related Health Conditions
Perinatology is a subspecialty of obstetrics that is concerned with the care of the fetus during high-risk pregnancies. Women who are a higher risk of developing problems or complications during pregnancy are often sent to a perinatologist to ensure the pregnancy is as healthy as possible.
What Increases the Chance of a High-Risk Pregnancy?
Conditions that result in a pregnancy being considered high risk include:
- Preeclampsia – Preeclampsia is when a pregnant women has dangerously high blood pressure and large amounts of protein in her urine. The condition typically occurs around week 32 of pregnancy. A perinatologist will be able to help a woman suffering from preeclampsia stay healthy throughout the remaining weeks of her pregnancy.
- Preterm Labor – Preterm labor is when labor starts between weeks 20 – 37. The earlier the delivery, the greater the chance the baby€™s organs will be underdeveloped. Preterm labor is often stopped with medications and women are usually allowed limited mobility until after week 37.
- Slowed growth for the baby – Fetal growth restriction can be caused by placental abnormalities and hypertension during pregnancy.
- Maternal age – If a woman is under 17 or more than 35, they are at a higher risk of pregnancy complications and will be monitored throughout pregnancy.
- Weight – If a person is classified as underweight or obese, a pregnancy can be considered high-risk and dangerous. Please check with your physician prior to trying to conceive in order to ensure you€™re at a healthy weight for pregnancy.
Request an Appointment in Chula Vista, CA
The board-certified physician at Kamali OBGYN assists women in every phase of their high-risk pregnancy. Call 619-271-2700 to schedule an appointment today.